Sunday, July 3, 2011

Crafting on a Sunday afternoon......(something useful)

Hi and Happy Sunday! 

Tomorrow is the 4th of July and I am surprised that I am not hearing more loud noises coming from the neighborhood.  Maybe we are spending our hard earned dollars on other things these days.  Speaking of that, remember I told you about the fun craft supplies I purchased at my friends' Ben Franklin Crafts store in Springfield?  Well, I dug out a few more of those supplies today...and I am still on a CraZy TACKz roll...so I have come up with a very useful little project!  I even used a recycled picture frame...it is beautiful and reminded me that we all have frames somewhere hidden away that just maybe need to be dusted off and given a new life.  A coat of paint can do wonders.  Some of us just like the shabby chic look and it won't need much done to it at all.  So!  I will tell you first about the supplies I had on hand to do my project.  Supplies:  one 8 x 11" picture frame, one package of CraZy TACKz (12 per pack), one 12" square page of memory paper with vintage automobiles, two 12" square 1/4" thick pieces of cork board, clear
Dimensional Medium (Ranger), a scrap of memory paper with a pocketwatch design on it, 1-1/2" cardstock letters that spell KEYS.  Oh, and some Modge Podge and a paint brush.  ......scissors, ruler, X-Acto knife, 1/16" round punch, pen, water bucket, paper towels...etc.  I will show you a couple of views of the project as follows:
And next, a side view showing how the CraZy TACKz are placed in the tires of the car.  (I cut the paper tires out of the cars using an X-Acto knife).  Then, I punched a tiny hole in the middle of the tire, slid  the paper tire over the hook...and adhered it to the plastic stopper of the tack using the dimensional medium.  I like to stick the tack into a piece of styrofoam to let it dry.  Once I had adhered the paper (cars) to the cork board that I had placed in the frame, I gave them a coat of Modge Podge to seal them and let them dry.  Then, stick the CraZy TACKz with the tire back into the spot on the cars where they should be. 
*Note:  A second piece of cork board should be cut to fit into the opening on the back of the frame.  Glue it to the back of the first sheet.  The cork board needs to be dense enough so it accomodates the entire length of the TACKz.  Ok.  That should about do it.  I realize that as you read this you will not be able to exactly follow along as with instructions.  I am hoping that you will get some inspiration from this design and have some fun creating your own.  I am always here to answer any questions you may have if there is something specific you need to know. 
And now an up close picture.........
Ok, that will about do it for today.  It is time to take a break and sit out under the nice shade trees in our backyard.  With a cold drink.  In a reclining chair.  Yes, that's the ticket!  Hope you are all having a great Holiday week-end and if you have family in the Military or you ARE in the Military, our hats are off to you!  You are our Heroes!  I am working on the next project...so stay tuned.  It will be coming soon.

God Bless America!  (and you!)
Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marilyn, Way cute idea!!! I wish I had 1/8th of the talent you do. I am trying my hand at Shabby Chic Cards. I will be selling my cards at a S.C. sale on the 16th along with all my treasure's that don't fit into the new house. So I'll be finding some picture frames and might try this idea!!! Chatatcha soon, kimmi

    ReplyDelete